The 66th Primetime Emmy Awards are this Monday, August 25th at 8/7c on NBC. There are always quite a few nominees that I do not agree with and shows that are overlooked for one reason or another (such is the life of a TV nerd), but I think we can all agree that there were some amazing performances this year and we are lucky to have so many from which to choose. That being said, this is my list of hopeful winners.
1. Lizzy Caplan – Masters of Sex Before Masters of Sex, I mostly knew Caplan from comedic roles and she was the main reason I started watching this show. She has never disappointed and continues to blow me away weekly.
2. Bryan Cranston – Breaking Bad I do not think I really need to explain this choice. Walter White will forever be one of the best characters on television.
3. Anna Gunn – Breaking Bad I will admit that I was one of the Skyler-haters at the beginning of the series, but I was never an Anna Gunn-hater, which just demonstrates the brilliance of her performance.
4. Josh Charles – The Good Wife I cannot talk about it. I still have not gotten over the death of Will Gardner.
5. William H. Macy – Shameless As the patriarch of the Gallagher family, Frank gets himself into a seemingly endless number of horrible situations, but somehow Macy makes them funny and you cannot help but laugh at some of his misfortunes.
6. Amy Poehler – Parks and Recreation I have only ever watched a few episodes of this show, but I just love Amy. She has been nominated several times and never won, so I think it is about time.
7. Andre Braugher – Brooklyn Nine-Nine I have been a fan of his since Homicide: Life on the Street and, while I do not actually watch this show, I like that he he is just as dominant in comedy as he was in drama.
8. Kate Mulgrew – Orange Is The New Black She better win, otherwise we might get something gross in our lunch or one of her “Golden Girls” might accidentally kill someone that looks just like us.