Last night at sundown was the start of Rosh Hashanah, which is the Jewish New Year. I am not Jewish, but many of my friends are and celebrate the holiday, so this is a list of my favorite Jewish characters on television.
1. Jerry Seinfeld – Seinfeld played by Jerry Seinfeld. Jerry was a stand-up comedian on a show about nothing. One of my favorite episodes was about Jerry getting upset because his dentist converted to Judaism and he thinks it was for the jokes.
2. Beverly Goldberg – The Goldbergs played by Wendi McLendon-Covey. Beverly actually reminds me of some of my friends’ mothers, which is why I think I love her so much.
3. Bobby “Elvis” Munson – Sons of Anarchy played by Mark Boone Junior. Aside from the fact that he’s part of a motorcycle club that runs guns and owns a porn studio, I would enjoy having someone like Bobby in my life. He often bakes banana bread for the club and is an Elvis impersonator! What’s not to love?
4. Ross Gellar – Friends played by David Schwimmer. I could have included his sister Monica as well, but Ross dressed up as an armadillo to teach his son about Hannukah, so he is the one that made the list.
5. Rhoda Morganstern – The Mary Tyler Moore Show played by Valerie Harper. She was a originally from New York and moved back there when Harper got her own show. Despite their differences, Rhoda and Mary were best friend’s, as well as neighbors.
6. Seth Cohen – The O.C. played by Adam Brody. As Seth was only half Jewish, he created his own holiday that incorporated parts of Christmas and Hannukah and called it Chrismukkah. One year, he even wore a kippah that looked like Santa’s hat.
7. Cyrus Rose – Gossip Girl played by Wallace Shawn. Blair was originally not a fan of him as a companion for her mother, but soon realizes how happy Cyrus makes her mother. It is inconceivable to me that anyone could dislike Wallace Shawn!
8. Fran Fine – The Nanny played by Fran Drescher. No list would be complete without Fran Fine. She is the epitome of the stereotypical Jewish woman that is usually portrayed on TV. She was hilarious, but I have never actually met anyone in real life that was anything like her.