I am a big fan of Movember and No-Shave November, especially when guys who do not normally have facial hair grow crazy mustaches to promote men’s health. So in honor of hairy men everywhere, this is my list of male TV characters with the best facial hair. For a couple of the shows, I have more than one character listed because I could not decide whose was the best.
1. Thomas Magnum – Magnum P.I., played by Tom Selleck.
You cannot have a list about facial hair without Tom Selleck. He shaved it at one point and life was not the same, but he is back rockin’ the ‘stache on Blue Bloods.
2. Seth Bullock and Al Swearengen – Deadwood, played by Timothy Olyphant and Ian McShane.
Most of the men on this show had pretty great facial hair, but these two were my favorite. Someone needs to bring back the mustache with a soul patch.
3. Jay Kulina – Kingdom, played by Jonathan Tucker.
Jay is a bit of a wild card and I think his facial hair reflects that. The mustache and chin strap combo is a little crazy looking but it totally works for him.
4. Jax Teller, Opie Winston, Bobby Munson, Tig Trager and Chibs Telford – Sons of Anarchy, played by Charlie Hunnam, Ryan Hurst, Mark Boone Junior, Kim Coates and Tommy Flanagan.
All of these guys have some awesome beards going. Although, it is fun to go back and look at season one when they were a little more clean cut, I definitely prefer their current looks.
5. Walter White – Breaking Bad, played by Bryan Cranston.
As a high school science teacher, Walter White had kind of a dopey mustache, but when he became Heisenberg, he shaved his head a grew a goatee. He looked a lot more bad ass… especially once he put on that pork pie hat.
6. Cliff Clavin – Cheers, played by John Ratzenberger.
I am sure people will give me grief about not having Ron Swanson on this list, but when I think of mustaches, the only other person besides the above mentioned Selleck that I think of is Cliff Clavin. And I am sure if you asked him, he could tell you a great tale about the history of said facial hair.
7. Taylor Doose – Gilmore Girls, played by Michael Winters.
As Town Selectman of Stars Hollow, Taylor always looked very put together with his cardigans and his perfectly groomed beard. I totally would have bought my groceries from him.
8. Spartacus, Crixus, Gannicus and Agron – Spartacus, played by Liam McIntyre, Manu Bennett, Dustin Clare and Daniel Feuerriegel.
Who has time to shave when you are fighting the Romans? Most of them were a little more clean shaven when they were gladiators in the arena, but once the rebellion started, they were nice and scruffy and even more intimidating.