Right after I posted my lists of mid-season shows, the Television Critics Association announced even more premiere dates. So, here are a few more new and returning shows that I am excited about watching in the next few months.
1. The Fall season two is being released January 16 on Netflix, stars Gillian Anderson, Jamie Dornan, John Lynch, Bronagh Waugh, Archie Panjabi, Niamh McGrady, Stuart Graham, Colin Morgan, Brian Milligan, and Séainín Brennan. This show is so well-acted and so intense, I have been waiting for the new season since I finished the last episode. However, it is definitely not something that I watch right before I go to sleep.
2. The Musketeers season two premieres January 17 on BBC America, stars Luke Pasqualino, Tom Burke, Santiago Cabrera, Howard Charles, Marc Warren, Tamla Kari, Maimie McCoy, Ryan Gage, Hugo Speer, and Alexandra Dowling. I really enjoyed the first season of this show. It is probably not going to win any awards, but it is just a lot of fun. What could be bad about cute boys and sword fights?!
3. Chasing Life the second half of season one premieres January 19 on ABC Family, stars Italia Ricci, Mary Page Keller, Aisha Dee, Richard Brancatisano, Haley Ramm, Scott Michael Foster, Rebecca Schull, and Steven Webber. Iniitally, I was not sure I could watch a show about a girl who is diagnosed with leukemia, but it is just really heart-warming and more about the girl than it is about her cancer.
4. Schitt’s Creek season one premieres February 11 on Pop, stars Catherine O’Hara, Eugene Levy, Daniel Levy, Annie Murphy, Chris Elliot, Emily Hampshire, and Sarah Levy. When wealthy video store magnate Johnny Rose and his family suddenly find themselves broke, they have no choice but to move to a small backwoods town he once bought as a joke. I still have not been able to figure out which channel this is on my television, but I will definitely find it in the next month so I can watch what looks like a hilarious new show.
5. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt season one is being released March 6 on Netflix, stars Ellie Kemper, Titus Burgess, Jane Krakowski, Sara Chase, and Lauren Adams. Kemper plays a woman who is rescued from a doomsday cult and starts life over as a nanny for a New York City socialite. This show was created by Tina Fey and Robert Carlock (who worked with Fey on 30 Rock) and the main character has been described as a modern Mary Tyler Moore.
6. iZombie season one premieres March 17 on The CW, stars Rose McIver, Robert Buckley, Malcolm Goodwin, David Anders, and Rahul Kohli. Loosely based on the comic book of the same name and created by Rob Thomas, this series follows Liv as she adjusts to becoming a zombie. She works in the coroner’s office so that she has access to the brains that she needs to eat in order to survive and uses the memories from these brains to help solve their homicides. I loved Veronica Mars and Party Down, so I will pretty much watch anything that involves Rob Thomas, but I also think this looks awesome and have been waiting for it to premiere since it was announced.
7. Game of Thrones season five premieres April 12 on HBO, stars Peter Dinklage, Nikolaj Coster-Waldau, Lena Headey, Emilia Clarke, Kit Harington, Aiden Gillen, Natalie Dormer, Stephen Dillane, Michael McElhatton, Gwendoline Christie, Jerome Flynn, Alfie Allen, Carice van Houten, Iain Glen, Ciaran Hinds, Liam Cunningham, Sibel Kekilli, Iwan Rheon, Maisie Williams, Sophie Turner, John Bradley, Conleth Hill and Diana Rigg. Every season of this show just seems to get bigger and better. I have only read the first book, so I have no idea what to expect and that actually makes me even more excited to watch.
8. Grace & Frankie season one is being released May 8 on Netflix, stars Jane Fonda, Lily Tomlin, Sam Waterston, Martin Sheen, June Diane Raphael, Baron Vaughn, Ethan Embry, and Brooklyn Decker. Grace and Frankie are not friends, even though their husbands Robert and Sol have been law partners for decades. But when Robert and Sol announce that they are leaving their wives for each other, the two women start to bond. There is no trailer yet, but I am excited about this show just for the cast alone. Watch Fonda and Tomlin present at last weekend’s Golden Globes and get excited!