Here is the list of this summer’s shows that I am most excited about checking out. Not all of them will be winners, but they either have an interesting premise or a cast that excites me. Check out the trailers below and let me know which shows you are looking forward to watching!
1. Texas Rising premieres May 25 on History, stars Bill Paxton, Brendan Fraser, Ray Liotta, Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Oliver Martinez, Thomas Jane, Christopher McDonald, Jeremy Davies, Chad Michael Murray, Max Thieriot, Robert Knepper, Rhys Coiro, Crispin Glover, Cynthia Addai-Robinson, Trevor Donovan, Jake Busey, and too many more to list them all. This mini-series tells the story of how the Texas Rangers started. It probably will not be historically accurate, but it has a great cast and looks like it could be interesting.
2. Aquarius premieres May 28 on NBC, stars David Duchovny, Grey Damon, Gethin Anthony, Emma Dumont, Claire Holt, Michaela McManus, and Brian F. O’Byrne. Taking place in Los Angeles in 1967, Duchovny plays a detective who is trying to track down Charles Manson and his cult of followers.
3. Sense8 will be released June 5 on Netflix, stars Aml Ameen, Doona Bae, Jamie Clayton, Brian J. Smith, Max Riemelt, Tuppence Middleton, Tina Desae, Miguel Ángel Silvestre, Naveen Andrews, Darryl Hannah, and Freema Agyeman. This series is about a group of people around the world who are suddenly linked mentally. They now have to find a way to survive being hunted by those who see them as a threat.
4. The Astronaut Wives Club premieres June 18 on ABC, stars Yvonne Strahovski, Odette Annable, Erin Cummings, JoAnna Garcia Swisher, Wilson Bethel, Kenneth Mitchell, Bret Harrison, Evan Handler, Desmond Harrington, Joel Johnstone, Azure Parsons, Sam Reid, and Aaron McCusker. Based on the Lily Koppel novel of the same name, this series tells the story of the real life wives of America’s astronauts during the height of the space race. This is another show that may not be entirely historically accurate, but that looks like a lot of fun.
5. Mr. Robot premieres June 24 on USA, stars Christian Slater, Rami Malek, Portia Doubleday, Carly Chaikin, and Martin Wallström. Malek plays an anti-social computer hacker who gets recruited by a mysterious anarchist to help take down a few of the top 1%.
6. Zoo premieres June 30 on CBS, stars James Wolk, Kristen Connolly, Billy Burke, Nora Arnezeder, and Nonso Anozie. Based on the James Patterson novel of the same name, this series is about a young scientist who is trying to figure out what is causing a rash of violent animal attacks happening all over the world.
7. Sex&Drugs&Rock&Roll premieres July 16 on FX, stars Denis Leary, John Corbett, Elizabeth Gillies, John Ales, Bobby Kelly, and Elaine Hendrix. Leary plays the middle-aged lead singer of ’90s band The Heathens, who broke up right before they hit it big. He is trying to get his band back together 25 years later with the help of a young new singer.
8. Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp will be released July 17 on Netflix, stars Janeane Garofalo, Jason Schwartzman, Paul Rudd, Marguerite Moreau, Christopher Meloni, Ken Marino, Joe Lo Truglio, Amy Poehler, Bradley Cooper, Molly Shannon, Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter, Zak Orth, Elizabeth Banks, A.D. Miles, David Hyde Pierce, Judah Friedlander, Kevin Sussman, Marisa Ryan, H. Jon Benjamin, David Wain and Kerri Kenney from the original movie cast, and so many more new additions! The staff of Camp Firewood is back for a prequel to the 2001 movie.