It has been a long time since I last posted. I was distracted this summer with the Olympics, a family vacation, and trying to catch up on way too much television. I am going to try to be more consistent with my posts, but I cannot make any guarantees. Thank you for your patience…if there is anyone still out there reading.
There is a lot of good television right now, as every other TV writer likes to remind us, but these are the returning eight shows that I am most excited about this Fall. Please share your favorite returning shows in the comments!
1. Narcos, season 2 will be released September 2 on Netflix, stars Wagner Moura, Boyd Holbrook, Pedro Pascal, Joanna Christie, Maurice Compte, Stephanie Sigman, Manolo Cardona, Andre Mattos, Roberto Urbina, and Diego Catano. Based on the true story of Pablo Escobar, the first season ended with Escobar escaping from prison, which launches a huge manhunt. While the first season spanned over ten years, season two focuses on the last year and a half of Escobar’s life. Wagner Moura’s portrayal of the drug kingpin is mesmerizing, and it is just a really interesting, well-told story. Even though I know it is a dramatization, it is fascinating to see how Escobar rose to power, and I will be equally interested to see how he got taken down.
2. Blindspot, season 2 premieres September 14th at 10/9c on NBC, stars Jaimie Alexander, Sullivan Stapleton, Rob Brown, Audrey Esparza, Ashley Johnson, Ukweli Roach, Luke Mitchell, Michelle Hurd, and Archie Panjabi. Jane and the FBI have finally learned that she is not Taylor, but there are still so many mysteries surrounding her, her mission, and her tattoos. There are tons of twists and turns, and in season one they were so well executed, every episode had me on the edge of my seat. I also just really love to watch Jaimie Alexander kick lots of ass.
3. Younger, season 3 premieres September 28th at 10/9c on TV Land, stars Sutton Foster, Debi Mazar, Miriam Shor, Hilary Duff, Nico Tortorella, Molly Bernard, Dan Amboyer, and Peter Hermann. I love this show so much. I love the cast. I love the writing. Liza is still keeping her age a secret from almost all of her friends and co-workers, but I am not sure how much longer she will be able to keep up the ruse. She is also in a delicious love triangle with her 20-something boyfriend, who knows she is actually in her 40s, and her 40-something boss, who does not know she is not in her 20s. It is funny and heartwarming and fantastic.
4. Shameless, season premieres October 2nd at 9/8c on Showtime, stars Emmy Rossum, William H. Macy, Jeremy Allen White, Cameron Monaghan, Emma Kenney, Ethan Cutkosky, Brenden Sims, Steve Howey, and Shanola Hampton. This is one of the best ensemble casts on television right now, and they do not get nearly enough recognition for the amazing work they have continued to do on this show for the last seven seasons. The Gallaghers never fail to entertain.
5. The Flash, season 3 premieres October 4th at 8/7c on The CW, stars Grant Gustin, Candice Patton, Danielle Panabaker, Carlos Valdes, Keiynan Lonsdale, Tom Cavanagh, and Jesse L. Martin. A friend asked me how I felt about what happened in the season finale, and I am still not sure. I have never read the comics, so I do not know what to expect when season three begins, but I am definitely intrigued. I am especially interested to see what effect, if any, Barry’s actions have had on the other CW shows in this universe. I guess I will just have to wait and see!
6. Jane the Virgin, season 3 premieres October 17th at 9/8c on The CW, stars Gina Rodriguez, Andrea Navedo, Ivonne Coll, Justin Baldoni, Jaime Camil, Yael Grobglas, Brett Dier, Yara Martinez, Bridget Regan, and the voice of Anthony Mendez. Seriously, if you are not watching this show by now, I do not even know why you are on my page. You clearly do not value my opinion. Season two was just as amazing as season one, and I CANNOT WAIT for season three. Also, for the record, I am forever on Team Rafael. There is (annoyingly) no trailer yet for the new season, so here is an adorable video about Mateo:
7. Lovesick (f.k.a. Scrotal Recall), season 2 will be released November 10th on Netflix, stars Johnny Flynn, Antonia Thomas, and Daniel Ings. Like many, I initially had no interest in watching a show called Scrotal Recall, but Netflix kept recommending it to me, and someone on Twitter (I forget who) said that it was genuinely good, so I decided to check it out. It is about a guy who finds out that he has an STD and has to go back and inform all of his sexual partners. I will admit that it sounds ridiculous, but it is SO FUNNY. The first season is only six episodes, so I suggest you catch up immediately before season two (now called Lovesick) is released. There is no trailer yet for season two but, since I am guessing most of you have not watched season one, here is that trailer:
8. The Royals, season 3 premieres December 4th at 10/9c on E!, stars Elizabeth Hurley, William Moseley, Alexandra Park, Jake Maskall, Tom Austen, Jules Knight, Genevieve Gaunt, and Max Brown. This is about a fictional British Royal family set in modern times and it is totally ridiculous, not at all realistic, but so much fun! I guess you might consider this a “guilty pleasure” show but, if something entertains you and brings you joy, then you should definitely not feel guilty for watching it. This family has plenty of secrets, and are never on their best behavior, but you cannot help but root for Prince Liam and Princess Eleanor.
So much to look forward to, starting with the last episodes of Narcos!! How’d you like to share your thoughts on all things TV with our readers on moviepilot.com? You really seem to love your shows!
LikeLiked by 1 person