Author Brenda Hiatt, posted this question on Facebook: “You’ve been kidnapped. You can call on the characters from one television show to make a rescue attempt. Which show do you pick?” My pick would be Strike Back. Then I started thinking about which individual characters from different shows I would want to come save me. So, here is that list.
1. Veronica Mars – Veronica Mars
She is a private detective that no one ever suspects is actually a private detective. She always has her taser with her and she will not stop until she has the problem figured out. She will even work with people she does not like in order to get the answers she is looking for.
2. Sgt. Michael Stonebridge – Strike Back
It was hard to choose between Strike Back’s Michael and Damien but, ultimately, I think Michael is the more level-headed one…plus, he has a sexy British accent. He is also a Royal Marine who works for an elite special operations unit and always has that sharp military focus.
3. The Doctor – Doctor Who
If you are kidnapped by aliens, you would definitely want his help. How else is the team going to get to the ship or planet where you are being held? I also always thought Veronica would make a good companion for him.
4. Brian Finch – Limitless
On NZT, he is basically the smartest person on the planet. He will be able to see clues that other people miss. He might clash with the Doctor a bit, but I think that they would ultimately be interested in working with each other.
My mother and I do not tend to watch a lot of the same shows, so it is nice when we find one that we can enjoy together. Sometimes she finds it first and introduces it to me and sometimes it happens the other way around. In honor of Mother’s Day on Sunday, these are the ones we have in common.
1. NCIS – My mom started watching this first and I did not think that I would like it because I tend to avoid procedural shows. She would watch the re-runs on USA and eventually I got into it as well. We prefer the earlier episodes and, while she still watches, I actually gave up in the middle of last season.
2. Gilmore Girls – I found this show in college and when I moved home after I graduated (don’t judge!), I would watch it on ABC Family and she would often watch with me. I am not sure my mom has seen every episode, but she still refers to Lauren Graham as Lorelei.
3. Downton Abbey – This is another one that my mom actually started watching first. She watches a lot of random British shows, so I figured it was another one like As Time Goes By or Rosemary & Thyme and did not initially watch the first season. However, it started to get a lot of good buzz from TV journalists that I trust, so I finally gave it a chance. We love Maggie Smith and her awesome one-liners.
4. Elementary – I started watching this because I like Jonny Lee Miller and then recommended it to my mom. She says that it is on too late for her to stay up and watch it (being on the East Coast) and usually watches OnDemand, so she is often an episode or two behind me, but we enjoy the relationship between Sherlock and Joan.